Dr.Sujitha ThomasTel: +91 824 2417632; Cell:
- Demersal fisheries
- Finfish mariculture
- Marine fisheries and climate change
After taking masters in marine biology and PhD in clam biology, I am working in CMFRI since 1996. I have worked in molluscan fisheries, bivalve mariculture, marine biodiversity and demersal fisheries along west coast of India (Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala). Currently I am working in Mangalore, Karnataka and involved in demersal fisheries biology and population dynamics, finfish mariculture, studies on climate change in relation to marine fisheries and resource mapping of marine species. I have contributed to development of marine finfish mariculture in cages in open sea and estuaries along the coast of India. I have interests in marine resource mapping and its application to fisheries management.
- PhD 2007 University of Calicut
- MSc 1992 Marine Biology, Cochin University of Science & Technology
- BSc 1989 Zoology, University of Kerala
|1||Development of Fisheries Management plans for sustaining marine fisheries of Karnataka and Goa.||CMFRI|
|2||GIS Based resource mapping of distribution and abundance of finfishes and shell fishes off Indian coast for suggesting operational based strategies for fisheries management.||CMFRI|
|3||Assessment of Elasmobranch Resources in the Indian Seas||CMFRI|
|4||Innovations in Sea cage farming & Coastal Mariculture||CMFRI|
|5||Flow of matter through trophic levels and biogeochemical cycles in marine and estuarine ecosystems.||MoES|
|6||National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (NICRA)||ICAR|
- Best paper award in International symposium “Greening Fisheries” in 2012
- Fish base collaborator since 1997
- Approved Research guide for Mangalore University, Karnataka
- Recognized research guide for College of Fisheries Mangalore, Karnataka
1. Thomas, Sujitha and Dineshbabu, A P and Sasikumar, Geetha (2014) Gastropod resource distribution and seasonal variation in trawling grounds off Konkan Malabar region , eastern Arabian sea. Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, 43 (3). pp. 384-392.
2. Thomas, Sujitha and Sreeram, Miriam Paul and Kakati, V S and Manisseri, Mary K and George, Rani Mary (2011) Coral fish diversity in Netrani waters off Murudeshwar Karnataka, south India. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 58 (1). pp. 45-51.
3. Thomas, Sujitha and Nasser, M (2009) Growth and population dynamics of short-neck clam Paphia malabarica from Dharmadom estuary, North Kerala, southwest coast of India. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, 51 (1). pp. 87-92.
4. Thomas, Sujitha and Kizhakudan, Shoba Joe (2006) Cephalopod fishery and population dynamics of Loligo duvauceli (Orbigny) off Saurashtra region, Gujarat. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 53 (4). pp. 425-430.
5. Dineshbabu, A P and Thomas, Sujitha and Radhakrishnan, E V and Dinesh, A C (2012) Preliminary experiments on application of participatory GIS in trawl fisheries of Karnataka and its prospects in marine fisheries resource conservation and management. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 59 (1). pp. 15-22.
- Google Scholar - http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=OVLt_eMAAAAJ
- Research Gate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sujitha_Thomas/publications