Dr.K. S. SobhanaTel: ; Cell:
- Marine fish cell lines and stem cell research
- Fishery and biology of sharks, threadfin breams
Completed Masters in Fisheries Science and Ph. D. from the Department of Aquaculture, College of Fisheries, Mangalore. Specialised in Fish Pathology and Immunology for the Ph. D programme. At CMFRI, currently involved in research in the areas of marine fish cell culture, fishery and biology of demersal fishery resources. Played active role in setting up the marine fish cell culture laboratory in CMFRI. Successful vitro cell culture systems have been developed from 8 species of commercially important marine fish. Initiated research on embryonic as well as induced pluripotent stem cells from marine fish. Also serve as subeditor of the Indian Journal of Fisheries.
- Ph. D. 1998 University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- M.F.Sc 1991 University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- B. F. Sc. 1989 Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara
|1||Derivation and characterization of embryonic (ES) and induced pluripotent (iPS) stem cell lines from selected marine fish species aimed at mariculture/conservation||CMFRI|
|2||Assessment of elasmobranch resources in the Indian seas||CMFRI|
|3||Development of Fishery Management Plans for Sustaining Marine Fisheries of Kerala and Lakshadweep||CMFRI|
1. K. S. Sobhana, K. C. George, G. Venkat Ravi, Gijo Ittoop and R. Paul Raj 2009. Development of a cell culture system from gill explants of the grouper, Epinephelus malabaricus (Bloch and Schneider), Asian Fisheries Science, 22 (2) : 541 – 547.
2. K. S. Sobhana, K. C. George, G. Venkat Ravi, Gijo Ittoop and R. Paul Raj 2008. A cell culture system developed from heart tissue of the greasy grouper, Epinephelus tauvina (Forsskal 1775) by enzymatic dissociation. Indian Journal of Fisheries, 55 (3) : 251 – 256.
3. K. S. Sobhana, K. C. George, N. K. Sanil, K. K. Surendran and R. Paul Raj, 2006. Immunosuppressive action of Nuvan (dichlorovos) in the banded pearl spot, Etroplus suratensis - evaluation of effect on hematology and humoral antibody response. Journal of Marine Biological association of India, 48 (1) : 29 – 34.
4. K. S. Sobhana, C.V. Mohan and K. M. Shankar, 2002. Effect of dietary vitamin C on the inflammatory response of mrigal, Cirrhinus mrigala (Hamilton) to Freund’s complete adjuvant . Journal of Fish Diseases, 25:179-184.
5. K. S. Sobhana, C.V.Mohan and K. M. Shankar, 2002. Effect of dietary vitamin C on the disease susceptibility and inflammatory response of mrigal, Cirrhinus mrigala (Hamilton) to experimental infection of Aeromonas hydrophila. Aquaculture, 207: 225-238.
- Google Scholar - http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=_rHnW-cAAAAJ